.
Renungan
“If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I’m about to do today?”


Monday, February 16, 2009

Communication?

.
The word communication is nothing new to the ears. In the corporate and business world, everyone knows how important it is in order to achieve the highest pinnacle of success.


Recently my daughter said something that managed to make me realize the importance of communication and hence, it has brought a whole new definition to me.

I quote,

“Abah, did you know that there are a lot of people in the corporate and business world who communicates badly? So that explains why there are so many misunderstandings and that’s why you guys need people like me!” (Currently she majoring in English)

I remembered her saying this with a smug expression on her face.

And so her statement left me thinking about the true meaning of success. I remembered reading World History and I realized that all the famous world leaders have high competency in communication. For example like Prophet Muhammad S.A.W. He had such high level of communication of which he managed to make people accept Islam intellectually, emotionally and spiritually with such vigor.


I cannot resist pointing this out but some of the most powerful people on Earth today are leaders in the communication field. For example, Rupert Murdoch (News Corporation), Ted Turner (CNN), Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Larry Page and Sergey Brin (Google).

The question now is, “How do you know you’re a good communicator?” People, the answer is very simple. If people act positively to anything you say, then you ARE a good communicator.

So the bottom line is; if one wants to be a great leader, despite having other competencies, one must have a high level of communication skills (verbally and written).


After reading what I just said above, you might go “Oh, I’m already a good communicator; I already have this part down.” Unfortunately for you, communication evolves from time to time. One must continuously work on his communication skills in order to be a part of this fast paced world we’re living in.

Looking at my daughter, I cannot help but feel proud and envious at the same time. I’m proud because she’s my daughter but at the same time envious because at a tender age of 19 she manages to communicate better than me! Hence, this old man must catch up and start working on his communication skills!

How about you?

To Ponder: 3K prepares you to be an excellent communicator!

No comments:

Post a Comment