.
Renungan
“If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I’m about to do today?”


Friday, December 18, 2009

My Dreams, My Plans and My Future.

.
Since she was in Form 4, I have spent time with Safia (my daughter) to really identify what she really wants to do with her life. I have used the concept in Anda Dilahirkan Berjaya (ADB) to guide her. What is the result? The following is her write up. Read on...
.

The most profound moment in my life was when I discovered my true calling in life. I was nine. I was never particularly interested or good at maths and science. In class, I am happiest when I’m learning English. Growing up thinking that being a doctor or an engineer was the ideal occupation, I have always shown more of a rebellious side to how I see things. I have never thought of being either of the two. I think I’m unique that way. I prefer to do what I love rather than do what society demands me to do.

The start of my relationship with English was when I discovered my love for writing essays and drama. It amazes me on how one could put a couple of words together in a sentence to literally translate what one’s mind and heart thinks and feels. As a child, I particularly excel in that area. And when I turned nine, I knew I’m going to become a linguist, English as my main medium.

As I grew older, my English skills developed immensely and so does my passion. I started to show interest in writing short stories and drama scripts. As a teenager, I was active in anything related to English especially performing English skits at school events. I have helped and contributed my skills as actor and script writer for my school’s English drama competition. In my senior year of high school, I was elected as the president of the English Society.
.


Other than school events, I’ve always looked for other ways to improve my English skills. I joined MPH writing competitions every year just to get a shot at publishing. I’ve also attended seminars on how I can improve myself. Currently, I even have one novel under my belt. If possible, I would like to get published. My greatest dream is to become an author.
.
However, my ideal career is to become an English professor at a local university. I find great pleasure in helping my friends on their English homework. That was when I decided that I would like to share my passion for English with other people. While writing is one of the ways to share, I see teaching as the main medium.

Despite my lack of interest in the fields of math and science, I remained as a Science stream student during my last years of high school. However, in Form 5; I made a risky decision to drop Biology in order to take the Literature in English paper. In my school, it was unheard of. I was the only student who sat for the paper. I had no excess to any of the study materials. However, my need to prove to myself that English is truly my talent; I worked hard in teaching myself how to excel in the paper.
.
.
At the end, the results were brilliant. I scored A1 for both English and Literature in English papers. More good news rolled in when I got accepted into University of Otago in New Zealand to major in English. It was dreams come true.

The duration of study is four years and my plan is to get accepted into their Honours Program. This is a great chance for me to compete at an international level. It will serve as a great experience as a linguist to live and study in an environment where English is used everywhere.

The future for me is infinite. It holds many possibilities for me but of course it will most likely to revolve around English. My plan is to become a travelling teacher and travel the world to teach English before coming back to Malaysia to work as a lecturer. I want to gather as many valuable experiences as I can so that I can share and incorporate them when I teach to Malaysian students. My ultimate goal is to bring a new change in how we teach English in Malaysia.
.

Safia, Abah so proud of you. May Allah bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment